The HECK Family start with Johannes Heck who was married to Christina Lorenz in Germany, their birth and death information is unknown. Johannes and Christina had at least 8 children all born in Nassau, Germany. At least 4 of the children came to the United States in the 1850's.
1. Jacob Heck (B. 18 SEP 1829 in Nassau, Germany; D. 13 MAY 1907 in Cannelton, Perry County, IN, and is burried in Cliff Cemetery). Jacob on 11 JUL 1853 in Perry County, IN married Catherine Yeagel (B. approx. 1836 in Wheeling, WV; D. unk.)
Jacob was a miner in Germany, he landed in America (New York) in July of 1851 and stayed in New York for one year working at a mill. He went to Cannelton, IN in 1852 and worked 8 years in coal mines. In 1861 he started a retail merchandise business. During this time he was also "boss" at the American Coal Company mines for three years and managed a paper mill for 2 years. In Cannelton, IN he was also a member of the Evangelical Church and belonged to the ODD Fellows raternity.
Jacob and Catherine had nine children as follows:
1. FRED HECK (B. 1855 in Cannelton, IN; D. unk.) who married to an ANNA C. _______.
2. WILLIAM HECK (B. 1857 in Cannelton, IN; D. unk.)
3. SOPHIA HECK (B. 1861 in Cannelton, IN; D. unk.)
4. HENRY HECK (B. 1863 in Cannelton, IN; D. unk.)
5. GEORGE HECK (B. 1865 in Cannelton, IN; D. unk.)
6. PHILLIP HECK (B. 1866 in Cannelton, IN; D. unk.)
7. LOUISE HECK (B. 1868 in Cannelton, IN; D. unk.)
8. ELIZABETH HECK (B. 1872 in Cannelton, IN; D. unk.)
9. JACOB HECK (B. 1876 in Cannelton, IN; D. unk.)
2. Christian Heck (B. approx 1832 in Nassau, Germany; D. unk.) married Minna ______ and had at least 2 children as of 1870.
The children of Christian and Minna are:
1. ANNIE HECK (B. 1867 in Cannelton, MO; D. unk.)
2. CHRISTIAN HECK (B. 1870 in Cannelton, MO; D. unk.)
3. William Heck, Sr. (B. 19 OCT 1835 in Nassau, Germany; D. 09 APR 1901 in Cannelton, IN and is burried in Cliff Cemetery). William on 02 FEB 1858 in Cannelton, IN married SOPHIA M. ARNOLD (B. 09 APR 1838 in Nassau, Germany; D. 25 NOV 1915 in Evansville, IN and is burried in Cliff Cemetery)
William left Germany in October 1850 and landed in New Orleans, LA. He lived in both Casyeville and Smithland, KY for a shorttime, then settled in Cannelton, IN in June of 1851. He worked in the coal mines until 1858, when he and his brother Jacob opened a grocery store. In 1865 he sold out his share of the store to Jacob and conducted a brewery and operated a coal mine on his own property. In 1876 he was elected as Justice of the Peace and held that office until his death in 1901. He also belonged to St. Johns Protestent Lutheran Church, the I.O.O.F., the German Benovelent Society and was Captain of the German Fire Company.
William and Sophia had the following children:
1. JACOB "John J." HECK (B. 1859 in Cannelton, IN; D. unk.). Jacob married Anna Tilsley and they had at least 1 son William Richard Heck. Jacob owned a saloon in Canelton, IN.
2. FREDERICK W. HECK (B. 10 SEP 1860 in Cannelton, IN; D. 05 JUL 1941 in Cannelton, IN). William on 11 MAY 1887 married MAUD ELLISON and they had 4 children: (i. Maude Irene Heck born on 23 MAR 1891), (ii. David E. Heck born 17 FEB 1896; died 1899), (iii. Ellison Heck born 18 AUG 1889), and (iv. Frederick W. Heck, Jr.).
3. ELIZABETH "Lizzie" K. HECK (B. 1862 in Cannelton, IN; D. unk.). She was married to Mr. Haney and moved to Evansville, IN as of 1915.
4. WILLIAM HECK (B. 1863 in Cannelton, IN; D. unk., but prob. of small pox as child/infant)
5. CATHERINE "Katie" L. HECK (B. 1865 in Cannelton, IN; D. 01 DEC 1918 in St. Louis, MO, and burried in the Old Methodist Epicapal Cemetery in Granite City, Madison County, IL). Catherine "Katie" Heck married HENRY HAYES (B. 05 FEB 1860 in Blairsville, Posey County IN; D. 12 DEC 1916 in St. Louis, MO and is burried with his wife),they were married on 06 MAR 1889 in Henderson County, KY. After residing in Vanderburgh County, IN they moved and resided in Granite City, Madison County, ILL.
They had 4 children:
(i. Loraine A. Hayes (B. 27 DEC 1892 in Basket Station, KY; D. 26 JAN 1940 in St. Louis, MO, and burried in Calvary Cemetery), he was married to a Charolette Humphries.)
(ii. Henry Jackson Hayes born 1895 in Basket Station, KY, death unk.)
(iii. Catherine Neva Hayes (B. 18 NOV 1899 in Vanderburgh County, IN; D. 13 Jan 1976 in St. Louis, MO, and burried in Calvary Cemetery). Catherine on 28 APR 1922 in St. Louis, MO married Raymond John Myers.
(iv. Carl H. Hayes(B. 1906 in Vanderburgh County, IN; D. unk.)
6. CAROLINE HECK (B. 1869 in Cannelton, IN; D. unk., died as child/infant)
7. HENRY James HECK (B. 1872 in Cannelton, IN; D. 1947 in unk.). Was living in Tell City, IN as of 1915. Henry married Mary C. Hossey (B. 1872; D. 1906)
8. WHILLEAMENA "Minna" HECK (B. 1875 in Cannelton, IN; D. unk.) married Harry Drebbing and moved to Hannibal, MO before 1915; then ended up around Tulsa, Oklahoma and had no known children.
9. CHARLES L. HECK (B. 1876 in Cannelton, IN; D. unk.), poss. had illigit. child Keokeuck HECK(Burried in Tell City, IN at the Greenwood Cemetery), then moved to St. Louis, MO before 1915, then poss. Oklahoma.
10. EDWARD A. HECK (B. 1878 in Cannelton, IN; D. unk.), moved to Terre Haute, IN before 1915. Edward married Ida G. ______ and had 2 children: (Irene Heck) and (George Heck)
11. Bismark Carl HECK (B: 27 OCT 1870 in Cannelton, IN; D. 01 MAR 1873 in Cannelton, IN)
4. ELIZABETH HECK / ARNOLD ???? (B. 1847 in Nassau, Germany; D. unk.). This Female Heck married a John Franzmann and also lived in Cannelton, IN. Poss only 1/2 sister to rest. (Child of Christina Lorenz and Phillip Arnold)
Sign My Guestbook View My Guestbook
This page has been visited times.